Author: Autumn
•9/22/2008 09:39:00 PM
Cell phones: a fine example of technology that changes our lives in both great and terrible ways. I fought the trend until my sophomore year of college; then I finally broke down and got one. Mostly I did it because I never answered the house phone, and it drove my best friend crazy.

I don't use my phone all that much now, but I fully admit that I feel slightly emptier inside when I don't have it with me. And it really does make life more convenient in many ways.

But someone PLEASE explain to me how convenience translated into it being acceptable for people to talk on their cell phones in public restrooms. Or any bathroom truth be told. If nature's calling, you should not be trying to have two phone conversations at once!

I was in a restaurant bathroom a month or so ago, and the woman in the next stall was talking real estate on the phone to a client while she did her thing. I guess she wanted to take care of all her business at once. WHY!? WHY!? WHY!?!?!?

When I was in college I worked at the campus library for three years. It being a library, no cell phones were allowed except in the stairwells. I can't vouch for the guys, but many a girl found the most convenient door to slip through when her phone rang was the one with the little stick figure in a dress on it.

So on the plus side there, they weren't trying to multi-task, but it made it very awkward for those in there for more obvious reasons. I'm sorry but I don't think Suzie Q should allow her boyfriend, Jim Bob, to listen in.

Honestly, the whole situation brings out the minx in me every single time. Without being crass, let's just say that it makes me want to make every single step of the bathroom process as loud as I possibly can. An audience deserves a performance right?

Besides, it's either that or jump out of the stall, snatch the phone and flush it.
|
This entry was posted on 9/22/2008 09:39:00 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

5 comments:

On September 22, 2008 at 10:34 PM , Sommer said...

lol, I love you Autumn! You crack me up. I agree though, it is kind of weird and awkward for all involved.

 
On September 23, 2008 at 9:50 AM , Katie said...

I completely agree! It makes me crazy when people are just chatting away on their phones. Take a break, do your business, then get back on the phone. I have a hard time even when someone tries to talk to me through the stall. Stupid public restrooms...

 
On September 24, 2008 at 11:31 AM , The Smaellies said...

i hate it because you dont know if they are talking on their phone or talkng to you?!?! you think you could find a better place to talk... thanks autumn for making us all think

 
On September 25, 2008 at 2:13 PM , Chelsea said...

You are SO funny! I am completely on your side. I hate when people do that. I hate, even more, when you hear the lady next door say “Hello?” You contemplate answering her, but before you do, you can tell she’s on the cell phone! It’s so creepy. (On a side note, I’m the best friend that “forced” you into cell phone usage right?) :-)

 
On September 26, 2008 at 1:30 PM , The Smaellies said...

by the way, my mother-in-law thinks its ok to use the bathroom while on the phone as long as you annouce it first..... pretty nasty if you ask me. I would rather she just call me back later