Author: Autumn
•4/19/2009 11:11:00 PM
I think we all know that Murdock and I had a very unhealthy, codependent relationship. I don't think it was working out for either of us, but I had so much invested in the relationship that breaking away was very difficult. I was torn. I felt trapped; I was afraid I would be stuck with him forever.

But not anymore! Murdock is no longer a part of my life. I finally broke it off, and there is a new car in my life now. A car I have inexplicably desired since college when this guy I hardly knew had one and I rode in it once. A silver 1999 Toyota Rav4.

It's the same kind of car as Murdock was, just a different (and better) make. For some reason I really like those small SUVs: "cute utes" as someone dubbed them. Murdock was a Land Rover Freelander, but a bit bigger and a V6. My new car is a 4-cylinder, which doesn't bug me and means better gas mileage.

I feel like a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders with Murdock gone. We had a very intense love/hate relationship, but it was ALWAYS something with that car. I forever lived with the worry of what was going to break or die next with him. But every time I thought about trading him in, I couldn't do it because I did love my car in theory. In actuality he just kind of really drained me. Land Rovers are not cheap cars.

Now I finally have my Rav. Woot! Yet while I am excited, I feel like Murdock sort of jaded me. I was so excited and in love with that car when I first got it. And it proved to be one of the biggest mistakes I've ever made. And I have no problem with mistakes, but along with the excitement is the worry that if I picked this car out there must be something wrong with it. I can't shake the paranoia that after Murdock I am forever fated to get screwed when it comes to cars.

But I am trying to shake that and even if this car has problems, they will be a whole helluva lot cheaper to fix than 'Dock's were! Now on to the photos. Oh, and the name is coming but I am having trouble deciding whether this car is a boy or a girl!

The profile.

The face. Grrrr.

And these are my dashboard friends. The duck has been with me since high school, in every car I've ever had. The voodoo doll is a thing between Steph and me; it protects me. And the turtle is an old air freshener that no longer freshens the air but is still cute 'cause it's a turtle.
|
This entry was posted on 4/19/2009 11:11:00 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

2 comments:

On April 20, 2009 at 11:53 AM , Katie said...

Your new car is so cute! I do love it. I hope that it is better for you than you last one. (Toyota's are so dependable... my carolla held on FOREVER and it was seriously beat up). I have always loved RAV-4's since I rode in John Gagnon's in college. They are so cute. Yay for new cars! :)

 
On April 20, 2009 at 8:01 PM , Nicola said...

Hahaha, love the twist! Nice car, 'yoters run forever. I wish you good health in driving it!