Author: Autumn
•4/07/2009 04:52:00 PM
Does anyone remember that old TV show from the early '90s Dinosaurs? I vaguely remember watching it, but the thing I remember most is that fat little baby constantly hitting his dad (I think with a frying pan) and screaming "Not the mama!"

I don't know why that particular image has remained in my head, but there it is. And I have felt more and more of a kinship with that creepy looking little baby. In my life, I am the baby and my Dell laptop is the dad. I'm not sure quite what the frying pan is in my situation, just increasingly intense insults I guess, but I know for sure who the mama is.

Did you figure it out? I kind of gave it away in the title. My mama is the Mac I do not own yet. And if I were willing and able to waste an adequate piece of machinery, taking a frying pan to my laptop would not be far off.

I had no real Mac exposure until I got to college and changed my major to journalism. That's where we met. And it was awkward at first, as we got to know each other and learned to navigate around our little quirks. But soon it was love. Two blissful years together before my pending graduation tore us apart.

I've made do with my laptop, we've had our occasional good times, but I suffer from Mac withdrawal that gets worse and worse as time goes by. And I can't necessarily break it down into why I love one and intensely dislike the other, I just do. And this is not intended as a judgment against PC lovers out there: To each his or her own.

When I first got my laptop three years or so ago it asked me to name it. So I got out my French dictionary and looked up the word reliable: Fiable. That proved to be a case of not living up to your name.

So a couple of weeks ago, I honestly went into my computer and renamed it. Fiable re-emerged as Not-the-Mac, upon which I am now typing this blog entry. Not-the-Mac and I have consented to co-exist until such a time when I have enough money to kick him out of the house for something better.

And if my new Mac happens to look like Justin Long, that'll just be the icing on the cake (But let me just clarify that the mama analogy and Justin Long are in no way related).
|
This entry was posted on 4/07/2009 04:52:00 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

1 comments:

On April 7, 2009 at 9:56 PM , Katie said...

ha ha ha. I totally remember that creepy dino baby that always hit his dad. ha ha ha. I love this post I think you are doing a great job writing everyday. Keep it up! :)