Author: Autumn
•4/17/2009 11:41:00 PM
I have been waiting tables for over seven years now, and working for Chili's (though at four different locations) for almost exactly two years. Counting all those Chili's locations as one, I have worked for six different restaurants (one for only about two weeks though!). And I do enjoy it, or I wouldn't have kept it up this long.

Other people in the "business" will agree that most restaurants are essentially the same. Rearrange the menu, alter the uniform a bit and there you go: the people really don't change. The same type of people who work at restaurants are the same type of people who work at all restaurants for the most part.

And the duties don't change much either. Some are worse than others, but I believe the one most universally hated by servers is rolling silverware. I know I always hated it. As silly as it sounds, one of the things I love MOST about Chili's is that they don't make you roll. They keep the silverware in bins and you set the pieces down in front of each person. That right there is why I am a Chili-head.

What does rolling silverware entail do you ask? Well at most restaurants your silverware comes rolled up in a napkin, sometimes in a cloth napkin and sometimes in a paper one with one of those sticky bands holding it together. I've had to do it both ways. I hate sticky bands. But the servers are the ones who assemble the rolls before they get out to the tables.

Depending on the night, how busy it was and how many servers are working, you can get stuck rolling at least 100 sets of silverware per shift. More on weekends. Not a fun job for anyone. Not a job I miss in any way shape or form. And it is hard on your neck and back after a while too.

But I am in the process of starting at another restaurant in addition to Chili’s, one I actually worked for one summer in college: Old Chicago. Great restaurant, which is mostly found in the Midwest. It occurred to me this week that in returning to this restaurant I would once again be forced into rolling servitude.

I have resigned myself to my fate, because as much as I lucked out with Chili’s, I have to return to the real world of serving, which includes a whole lot of rollin’.

And ... I made it before midnight. Go BEDA!
|
This entry was posted on 4/17/2009 11:41:00 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

1 comments:

On April 18, 2009 at 8:42 AM , Becky Jean said...

Hi! BEDA buddy here. Although I've never worked as a waitress I feel for you. I spent 3 years on and off (mostly the summers) working at Cracker Barrel as a cashier. I heard all the horror stories about rolling silverware. I hadn't noticed that about Chili's before. Makes me want to eat there more often. (Now if only the closest one wasn't in Madison!!)

My restaurant pet peeve was working the opening shift, which at CB meant a 5:45am start time. I spent 2 summers opening 5 days a week. That's when I decided I didn't want to do that forever and decided to go to library school :)