Author: Autumn
•4/15/2010 11:45:00 PM
So I am doing my catching up a bit out of order, but it's my blog so I can do whatever I want right? This was the last of my crazy Thursdays. I worked 14.5 hours today! 8 at the library and then 6.5 at Job #2. Oy vey.

So for the past three weeks I have been spending my Thursdays in downtown Omaha at the main library branch. In addition to being a library branch, it houses all the other departments like acquisitions, community services and technical services.

I've been picking up extra hours in tech services because (1) extra hours are good and (2) I've been quite curious about the behind-the-scenes library stuff. It has been a nice change of pace, though my body has not been the biggest fan of hunching over a desk for 8 hours stickering paperbacks.

One perk is that I can listen to my iPod while I do that. And actually, the work is mindless enough that I listened to an audio book over the course of a few shifts. I listened to Suite Scarlett by Maureen Johnson, to bone up for reading the sequel, Scarlett Fever, that recently came out. I quite enjoyed listening to that, and I think I like the book itself better the second time.

So that is the first thing I loved this week. Also ...
  • HAVING THE WEIGHT OF THE GRE OFF MY SHOULDERS. Of course. Although I still won't know my analytical writing score for a week or two. Ugh.
  • Learning I can study! - I may not be especially efficient at it, but I know my GRE scores were better for the studying I did attempt to do. And the book I used as a study guide was a really good one: The Princeton Review's Cracking the GRE. I ignored some of it, but what I did pay attention was a great help. Let's see if I can keep up this studying thing once I get into school.
  • Finding my ideal study music - I think this is a hard task, but I found the perfect music for what I need. Because if there are words in the music, I get distracted by the lyrics and don't get anything done. Sometimes I can get away with random bands or singers, but musicals are a big no no. But Miles Davis is absolute studying bliss. I was already a fan, that man and his trumpet are quite amazing. But the lack of singing helps me focus, but the jazz he plays is upbeat enough to keep me energized. Perfection. (I've really been discovering how much I love jazz the past year or two).
  • BBQ pulled pork - Random, but so good! I took the GRE Tuesday morning and had to go straight to work for seven hours. Not great fun. I got off at 8 and I was starving. I was not about to go home and scrounge, so I ordered take away from Famous Dave's. I hadn't had it in forever and it was amazing. Yum - my.
And, that's it for now. I was a total social recluse during my GRE prep time, so I am hoping this coming week will bring more of a life.
|
This entry was posted on 4/15/2010 11:45:00 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: