Author: Autumn
•4/16/2010 11:08:00 PM
Collections ... hmmm.

Well, there are the obvious ones, which are my big shopping weaknesses: books and DVDs. I use the library like crazy for both, and I have Netflix, but I LOVE owning books and movies. I will read a book, love it, then buy it. So I might not have read the copy sitting on my shelves, but I pick them up randomly, and I know I will read them again. The point is that they struck me enough to be considered worthy of belonging to my collection.

I don't have one big collection I've maintained my whole life. I used to collect Victorian-style greetings cards. I don't know what happened to them though. But that was mostly because my grandmother collected them and sent them to me all the time.

I do collect Playbills, as any Broadway geek worth his or her salt does. I keep all my ticket stubs and programs anyway, but there is something special about an official Playbill. I have a handful now, but someday I will have MANY more.

I do like to collect decks of cards. Sometimes when I travel, (like my most awesome Wacky Woolies (Sheep) deck from Dublin, picture <--- on a deck of cards) and sometimes when I just think they're cool (like Scooby Doo and The Little Mermaid). When I was a kid I would play with them like they were people. Four families, Kings and Queens were the parents, odds were boys and evens were girls. I had a whole system and it was a lot of fun. I was an odd kid.

Everyone seems to collect something when traveling. I've actually put some thought into what I should collect. Some people collect mugs, thimbles, spoons, kitschy stuff like that. I wanted to be a bit different, but I was stumped. A couple of years ago, I had the idea to keep the front pages of the local papers of each town I visited, with the date of my visit on it. I still think it's a neat idea, but I never got organized. I have a pile of papers sitting in storage, but I haven't gotten any recently.

P.S. At the moment I am also collecting unread blog posts. I remember the time in my life when I had about a dozen unread items in my Google Reader at any given time. Often zero. It was a nice, simple time. But now I have 474 unread items. It just keeps getting bigger. I swear when I checked yesterday it was around 400. STOP BLOGGING! I need to get caught up.
|
This entry was posted on 4/16/2010 11:08:00 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

1 comments:

On April 17, 2010 at 8:36 PM , Unknown said...

I always liked the idea of saving Playbills. I like that they always hold them up on Letterman or whatever when they have someone on to promote their latest show. It's a good-looking publication.