Author: Autumn
•4/04/2010 11:37:00 PM
I had a pretty nice week, as you can tell if you read any of my previous posts this week. Yay for great career news. As for the smaller details of my week ...

Books:
I finally finished Little Women by Louisa May Alcott. I realized a month or so ago that I had never read it, even though I own a lovely, illustrated copy from the 1940s that belonged to my grandmother/aunt. I quite enjoyed reading it, but it took me several weeks to finish. I think part of it was that I know enough about it that there was no suspense in finding out what happens.

Also, I have seen the newer version of the movie from 1994. The book is always different, but the main plot was pretty much the same. I still haven't seen the first movie they made of it, the black and white one from 1949. I recorded it back in February, but I haven't gotten around to watching it yet. I do love Peter Lawford though, so I am looking forward to watching his handsome face as Laurie.

The other book I read this week was called 84, Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanff. It was a quick little read, just under 100 pages, that I finished off this afternoon. It's actually nonfiction, a collection of letters between the author, Helene Hanff, who lives in New York City, and several people who work at a bookshop in London. The title is the address.

The letters begin in the late '40s and go through to the mid '60s. The book was first published in 1970. The letters show the evolution of a friendship between Helene and the staff of this little bookshop, mainly one man, Frank. It is nothing romantic, but as she buys books from the shop they become great friends too. She has a really sassy voice and is quite funny. I really enjoyed the book, and would definitely recommend it.

Movies/TV:
Going back to Peter Lawford, as today was Easter, I really should have watched Easter Parade, but I didn't get a chance. I will try to watch it this week. It is such a great show. I mean with Fred Astaire and Judy Garland starring in it, and Ann Miller throwing in some of her amazing tap dancing, plus dashing Peter and a scene with Jules Munshin as a funny long-suffering waiter, not to mention some great Irving Berlin music, and you can't go wrong. I knew all that off the top of my head, is that sad or awesome? Hmmm ...

The show I have been watching a lot of lately is Chuck. I've never seen it on TV before, I am watching it through Netflix. My old college friend Katie was watching an episode a couple years ago while I was staying with her. It's been on my list ever since, but I have a very long list. But a couple months ago my uncle brought it up to, so I moved it to the top of my queue.

I am really liking the show so far. It is funny and interesting, and the sights are pretty good as well. The super nerdy best friend, Morgan, is really growing on me too. I wouldn't say yet that I love it, but it is a lot of fun, and I am already partway through Season 2.

And ... that's about it. I worked a lot of hours this week, so there wasn't a ton of time for anything else. I hope you had a great week too.
|
This entry was posted on 4/04/2010 11:37:00 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: