Author: Autumn
•4/02/2010 10:31:00 PM
This is just silly. I should not be stumped on the second day of BEDA. Especially NOT over music. But I think the problem (aside from my exhausted lack of coherency) is that while music is such a large, integral part of my life, it is something of a subconscious one. I don't think about it, it just comes as naturally as breathing.

As do singing and dancing along to anything and everything while in my car. I also sing and dance while doing dishes and cooking, my favorite is to dance around the kitchen to Frank Sinatra. The one place I never sing though, is the shower. And even I don't understand why I don't do it. It is baffling to me really. It's an ideal spot, a traditional spot even. But it's something I have never done.

Anyway, I could easily use this post to gush on and on about Broadway and showtunes, because while I do listen to other stuff, there's no point in denying that Broadway takes up the bulk of my focus. But I have done that before. And my buddies already excellently covered what music means in their lives and some of their favorite songs. So I decided to do something a little different.

I have 5635 songs in my iTunes. And I just checked, and 2631 of those are Broadway-related, which is about 47%. That doesn't include solo albums I've bought by Broadway artists. But I decided to just browse through the titles of those 5635 songs and see what themes I could find. It's an experiment, so let's see how it goes.

# of songs with Love in title: 280
# of songs with Hate in title: 7

Collections:
  • Seventy-Six Trombones (from The Music Man)
  • 10,432 Sheep (Audra McDonald)
  • 1000 Paper Cranes (Motion City Soundtrack)
  • 100s and 1000s of Stars (The Class of 98)
  • 20 Years of Snow (Regina Spektor)
Events:
  • The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee (from The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee)
  • At the Ballet (from A Chorus Line)
  • Ballet at the Village Vortex (from Wonderful Town)
  • Bicycle Race (Queen)
  • Christy's Wedding (The Class of 98)
  • Dance at the Gym (from West Side Story)
  • Easter Parade (from Easter Parade)
  • Glee Club Rehearsal (from You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown)
  • Oh! What a Circus (from Evita)
  • The Night That Goldman Spoke at Union Square (from Ragtime)
  • A Real Nice Clambake (from Carousel)
  • Wedding Celebration & The Bottle Dance (from Fiddler on the Roof)
  • A Weekend in the Country (from A Little Night Music)

Food & Drink:
  • Alcohol (Barenaked Ladies)
  • Banana Pancakes (Jack Johnson)
  • Calamari (from A New Brain)
  • Candy Cane (from The Nutcracker)
  • Champagne (from In the Heights)
  • Cigarettes and Chocolate Milk (Rufus Wainwright)
  • The Egg (from 1776)
  • Green Eggs and Ham (from Seussical: The Musical)
  • Have an Eggroll, Mr. Goldstone (from Gypsy)
  • Huckleberry Pie (from The Color Purple)
  • Incense and Peppermints (Strawberry Alarm Clock)
  • Lady Marmalade (from Moulin Rouge)
  • Marzipan (from The Nutcracker)
  • Pumpkin Soup (Kate Nash)
  • A Spoonful of Sugar (from Mary Poppins)
  • Strawberry Fields Forever (from Across the Universe)
  • Vegetable Car (Joshua Radin)
The Body:
  • Angel Eyes (Ace of Base)
  • Arms of a Woman (Amos Lee)
  • Blue Lips (Regina Spektor)
  • Cold Feets (from The Drowsy Chaperone)
  • Crooked Teeth (Death Cab for Cutie)
  • Drilled a Wire Through My Cheek (Blue October)
  • Head Over Feet (Alanis Morissette)
  • Head Over Heels (Hit the Lights)
  • Hold You in My Arms (Ray LaMontagne)
  • I've Got You Under My Skin (Frank Sinatra)
  • Let Me See His Western Nose (from Miss Saigon)
  • Loose Lips (Kimya Dawson)
  • Love Is My Legs (from Dirty Rotten Scoundrels)
  • Man of a Thousand Faces (Regina Spektor)
  • One Hand, One Heart (from West Side Story)
  • Slipping Through My Fingers (from Mamma Mia!)
  • Two Tongues (The Swell Season)
  • Words, Hands, Hearts (Yellowcard)
  • Your Eyes (from Rent)
Places:
  • Antarctica (The Weepies)
  • Atlantic City (from Ragtime)
  • Baghdad (from Kismet)
  • Barcelona (from Company)
  • Buenos Aires (from Evita)
  • Chicago (Judy Garland)
  • Coney Island (Death Cab for Cutie)
  • The Devil Went Down to Georgia (The Charlie Daniels Band)
  • El Salvador (Athlete)
  • Gary, Indiana (from The Music Man)
  • Good Morning Baltimore (from Hairspray)
  • I Loved the Way She Said L.A. (Spitalfield)
  • Ireland (from Legally Blonde)
  • Kansas City (from Oklahoma!)
  • Lady in Spain (Ingrid Michaelson)
  • London Skies (Jamie Cullum)
  • Manchester England (from Hair)
  • Meet Me in St. Louis, Louis (Judy Garland)
  • New York, New York (Frank Sinatra)
  • Ohio (from Wonderful Town)
  • Oklahoma? (from Dirty Rotten Scoundrels)
  • One Night in Bangkok (from Chess)
  • Pennsylvania Sun (Pete and J)
  • A Rumor in St. Petersburg (from Anastasia)
  • San Francisco (Ingrid Michaelson)
  • Virginia (from The Civil War)
Animals:
  • Big Dog (from The Color Purple)
  • Birds (Kate Nash)
  • The Birds and the Bees (Jewel Akens)
  • Blackbird (from Across the Universe)
  • Butterflies (Dave Barnes)
  • Diamond Dogs (Beck)
  • Disloyal Order of Water Buffaloes (Fall Out Boy)
  • Don't Be the Bunny (from Urinetown)
  • Elephant Love Medley (from Moulin Rouge)
  • Falcon in the Dive (from The Scarlet Pimpernel)
  • Green Finch and Linnet Bird (from Sweeney Todd)
  • I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas (Gayla Peevey)
  • Little Lamb (from Gypsy)
  • Message From a Nightingale (from The Drowsy Chaperone)
  • Monkeys and Playbills (from [title of show])
  • Mosquito (Ingrid Michaelson)
  • Old Coyote (The Weepies)
  • The Scorpion (from Marie Christine)
  • The Siamese Cat Song (from Lady and the Tramp)
Time:
  • About a Quarter to Nine (from 42nd Street)
  • After Midnight Dies (from LaChiusa's The Wild Party)
  • Any Minute (from 13)
  • 'Bout Time (Louis Armstrong)
  • Boho Days (from tick, tick...BOOM!)
  • Brand New Day (Joshua Radin)
  • Business Time (Flight of the Conchords)
  • The Day Before You (Rascal Flatts)
  • The End (Blue October)
  • Every Day a Little Death (from A Little Night Music)
  • Favorite Year (Dixie Chicks)
  • February Song (Josh Groban)
  • Forty Days (from Passion)
  • Gloomy Sunday (Billie Holiday)
  • June Is Bustin' Out All Over (from Carousel)
  • Lazy Afternoon (Emily Skinner)
  • A Long December (Counting Crows)
  • Once Upon a December (from Anastasia)
  • Night and Day (Cole Porter)
  • Seconds and Years (from Next to Normal)
What interesting lists can you derive from your music?
|
This entry was posted on 4/02/2010 10:31:00 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

2 comments:

On April 2, 2010 at 11:00 PM , Christina Hicks said...

Oh jeez, this is brilliant! You really are type A aren't you? :P I would never have the patience and focus to do this!

 
On April 3, 2010 at 9:29 AM , Becky Jean said...

Forget the patience and focus, I don't think I'd have the creativity to think it up in the first place :) This is awesome. I may have to find the time to do this this month.