Author: Autumn
•4/05/2010 10:20:00 PM
I have always been rather indifferent to sports for the most part. I'm no hater, but I've never really followed any one sport or any one team or anything like that. When college football rolls around, I cheer for USC because that is my dad's alma matter. He is very faithful to his team, and I guess I feel compelled to be too.

I know enough about the general rules and scoring of all the major games so that when I occasionally wind up watching a game with friends or at work, I can at least follow along. I just never get invested in anything.

I will say though that going to live baseball games with my dad and my two older brothers was a staple of my childhood. First Dodger games when we lived in Los Angeles, and later Mariners games when we moved to Seattle. I loved going to those games.

But I don't think it had much to do with the sports part. I loved the experience of being out there with all those people. I loved being the "cool" girl hanging out with the boys in her life. My FAVORITE part was the Dodger Dog my dad bought me at each game. I love hot dogs, and back then I would have sworn up and down that Dodger Dogs were by far the best.

I had no problem choosing a favorite player from the Dodger roster back then. The moment I heard someone say Darryl Strawberry's name I knew. I loved strawberries, therefore it made sense to me that I loved him. I stood firm in that decision all through my childhood. Yeah ... things have changed a bit for him since then.

As an adult, I do still enjoy live baseball games. Yes, the game play itself can get slow, but there is such a feeling of community when you are at those games, of a shared experience. Whenever I am in Omaha for July 4th, I go downtown with my family to Rosenblatt Stadium (home of the College World Series) to see our minor league team, the Omaha Royals play.

The game itself is fun, and afterward when it gets dark, they put on one of the most spectacular fireworks displays I've ever seen. It's truly gorgeous. It's also the one time a year my sister and I always get along; we even share a funnel cake.
|
This entry was posted on 4/05/2010 10:20:00 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

2 comments:

On April 6, 2010 at 9:16 PM , Becky Jean said...

The atmosphere totally makes the sporting event. That and who you see it with. :)

 
On April 7, 2010 at 1:54 PM , Shay and Kira said...

Autumn...Just want to say hi and that i love reading your blog. Just makes me laugh cuz I can picture you saying everything you write. I am glad to see you are in a library again...just seems so you...even the character part. Haha. Love ya miss ya and keep blogging!