Author: Autumn
•4/03/2010 11:59:00 PM
I am very much cheating and dating this post April 3, even though I am writing it April 4. I had every intention of writing it April 3, but I fell asleep before I could. Long day. Sorry.

So I've established that I work in a library, and that it's where I want to spend the rest of my days too. One of the things I love about it is the variety. One day will just be shelving books and checking things in, the next day I am creating shelf signs for the entire juvenile collection. We are a new branch, and it has taken quite a while long for us to get signs (the adult side is still lacking), but I designed them and they're great!

Twice now, I have been given the chance (told to) dress up in costumes and play famous children's book characters. I was reluctant at first, less than thrilled you might say, but I am just about the perfect size and there really is no one else at my branch who will/can.

The first time was back in February. I dressed up as Maisy, a little girl mouse who really dresses like a boy I think. She goes on all sorts of adventures in her books, by author Lucy Cousins. For this one, all I had to do was walk out to storytime, and help Miss Nancy, our children's librarian, do the motion to "The Wheels on the Bus." Then I posed for pictures with the kids.

Now let me just say that these costumes are HOT!! And in the case of Maisy, very smelly. The only way I was able to handle putting the head on was with a liberal spraying of Febreze. Saved my life. The library forgot to take their own pictures during the show, but we got a couple on my cell phone before I changed.


The second time was yesterday, when I dressed up as Beatrix Potter's famous little Peter Rabbit. Personally, I think this costume was a LOT cuter, and much more neutral smelling. Thank goodness. Unfortunately, it was MUCH hotter. Or maybe I was just in it longer doing more active things.

For this one I came out and led the bunny hop, which of course Peter Rabbit knows, before posing for pictures with the kiddies. Fortunately, this time we remembered to take some pictures for the library. Please note the carrot-radish lovechild I am holding. We couldn't decide if it was a pink carrot or a carrot-shaped radish. So I like my theory.

So this has proved to be a lot of fun for me. I know I am not a huge fan of children in general, but even I think they can be cute and sweet sometimes. I just don't want to create any of my own. I really enjoyed receiving all the hugs and high fives they gave me. And apparently, I am awesome at this, so whether I like it or not, I am going to be doing this again.
|
This entry was posted on 4/03/2010 11:59:00 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

6 comments:

On April 4, 2010 at 2:48 PM , Becky Jean said...

How many costumes does your library have? That's awesome. Glad you're enjoying the job so far :)

 
On April 4, 2010 at 3:57 PM , Christina Hicks said...

I've always wanted to wear one of those, despite the possibility of heat stroke, but I'm always too tall or whatever for them. It's one of my not so secret dream is to be a team mascot :) How fun you got to, also your library is gorgeous!

 
On April 4, 2010 at 6:48 PM , Jess said...

That's definitely an adorable rabbit costume. Does the library rent those things out or something? I've always wondered about the process of procuring such a thing.

I work in an academic library where there isn't story time or anything fun like, of course, but we've had a surprising number of costumed folk in the nearly two years I've been in here including the school mascot, a bunch of students in deer costumes around Halloween and several students in garbage can costumes for Recycle Mania.

 
On April 4, 2010 at 8:54 PM , Unknown said...

Aww I love it!

 
On April 6, 2010 at 11:58 AM , Katie said...

That is SOO much fun! You look great as both a mouse and bunny! :)

 
On April 7, 2010 at 9:56 AM , Autumn said...

OK, yes the library rents them from some company, and then each of the 12 branches gets a turn with them before we send them back.

Christina - our library is in a unique shared building with an elementary school and a parks and rec center. It's the first of its kind in Omaha, and definitely an interesting situation. Those photos are in the rotunda connecting the three. The library is behind me in the first two photos, the school behind me in the third.