Author: Autumn
•4/07/2010 11:11:00 PM
I have had many celebrity crushes over the years, I am in no way immune to feeling enamored of the famous people. But I would say that mine are even less attainable than the average bear: most of my crushes are octogenarians and beyond - or dead. Mostly dead.

Oh boy, that girl is going to blog about musicals again isn't she?

Why yes I am. In addition to my love of contemporary musicals, I also love old movie musicals from the '40s and '50s. I often feel like I was born in the wrong era, but if I had been born earlier, I wouldn't be able to own all these great films on DVD, so it's a wash.

A lot of my crushes are on men like Gene Kelly (pictured left), Donald O'Connor, Howard Keel, Cary Grant, Fred Astaire, Van Johnson (pictured right)and Peter Lawford. I was completely obsessed with Donald O'Connor all through high school. He died when I was in college, and my dad called to check on me. I actually blogged about it a little bit once, here.

Another celebrity crush I blogged about before was James Barbour, a Broadway performer whose voice gets reactions out of me like NOTHING ELSE does. But I go into all that in that entry. Not here.

But let's look at more recent crushes. I would categorize all my current crushes as being on characters rather than the actors. I try to separate them in my head, because I recognize that just because I love a character in a show doesn't mean that is how the actor is in real life. It's hard sometimes though.

  • Lee Pace in Pushing Daisies, and in Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day for that matter.
  • John Krasinski in The Office (I think most of us are there on that one)
  • Topher Grace in Win a Date With Tad Hamilton! (I saw that movie with one of my best friends, Chelsea, in the theater and afterward I turned to her and said "I'm smitten in the stomach." It's become a standing joke between us.)
  • Nathan Fillion in Waitress AND in Castle
  • Jonathan Rhys Meyers and James McAvoy in certain movies I'm too tired to remember.
Those are the bigger ones I've had in more recent years. All minor and somewhat fleeting, as most celebrity crushes are. This doesn't count those I've forgotten, as well as my many girl platonic crushes: like Kristen Bell in Veronica Mars as Becky pointed out.

Now I get one paragraph for some of my favorite Broadway men: Raul Esparza, Norm Lewis, Aaron Tveit, Brian Stokes Mitchell, Norbert Leo Butz, Cheyenne Jackson, Adam Pascal, Matthew Morrison (whom I already loved before Glee), Douglas Sills, Anthony Crivello, Hadley Fraser and Christian Borle. Yay!

Good night.
|
This entry was posted on 4/07/2010 11:11:00 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

6 comments:

On April 8, 2010 at 7:40 AM , Christina Hicks said...

Ahhhh Lee Pace! I heart him! He actually went to the same high school as a friend of mine (though several years before)!

This is the second comment that I'm going to bring up Firefly...but if you like Nathan Fillion he's the star of that..

And yay Howard Keel and Donald O'Connor! I was a freshman in college when Howard Keel died and it was a sad sad day.

 
On April 8, 2010 at 4:54 PM , Emily said...

Yay Raul Esparza! Have you seen this? It's my fav :)

 
On April 8, 2010 at 11:41 PM , Autumn said...

Emily I have seen that video. That is Seth Rudetsky playing the piano. He is hilarious. And Raul is amazing as ever.

 
On April 8, 2010 at 11:55 PM , Chelsea said...

Aww...smitten in the stomach. I love that phrase, such good memories! :-) I'm so thrilled that BEDA is back, I love reading your posts. Miss you tons my friend! Good luck on the GRE, I'm sure you'll do wonderfully. Love you.

 
On April 9, 2010 at 9:50 AM , Emily said...

I want Seth Rudetsky to be my best friend. Have you listened to the audio book of Broadway Nights? It is so wonderful and hilarious. Also, Seth does his Playbill column (OnStage & Backstage) as a podcast and that is great too :) Oh! and also, he said in one of his podcasts that he finished a young adult novel, so let's hope that comes out soon.

 
On April 9, 2010 at 10:19 AM , Autumn said...

Emily you have to be my new friend! I have Broadway Nights in paperback, but I haven't listened to the audio. AND HE's WRITING A YA BOOK!? Woot.
And I just added his podcasts to my iPod.