Author: Autumn
•4/07/2010 10:21:00 PM
I didn't get to this one yesterday because I really didn't know what to say. The best question would have to be when have I ever had a great hairstyle, and the answer would be never.

I will admit to many skills, but hair has never been one of them. There's something about a hairbrush and bobby pins that turn my hands into heavy, useless weights; there to hinder but never to help. I've tried to play around with my hair so many times through the years, but I get frustrated quickly because my hands can't translate thoughts from my head to my hair.

I exist in a pattern of getting my hair cut, having it look cute all that day (though occasionally I can stretch that to two days of cuteness), then never again until my next cut. My repertoire consist of combing my hair out and hoping it lays nicely, putting it half up and hoping it stays nicely, and a ponytail.

I mostly live in a ponytail because Job #2 involves food and I can't wear it down there. It doesn't help that I can rarely handle the heat of my hair on my neck for any real period of time, so I almost always wear it up anyway.

And ... that's it. Yay for hair - I need a daily personal stylist.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

I finally started studying for the GRE today. I am taking it in less than a week. But I put off studying because I don't know where to start. I am one of those annoying people who naturally test well. I also have pretty good writing skills and an above-average vocabulary from a lifetime of obsessive reading.

But I've realized over the years how much of a crutch I let this become. I got away with not TRULY studying all throughout high school and for the most part college too. I always got A's and B's and I was content with that. I could probably have gotten a 4.0 if I'd made the extra effort, but I was never that ambitious.

I'm not saying I put in zero effort in high school and college, I think that's how it sounds. I work hard in most things (even if I do procrastinate a ridiculous amount of the time). I've just really tried to avoid studying through the years. And the fact of the matter now is that I don't know how to study.

I am very much lacking in that skill set. I never needed to learn how. But for the GRE, I very much doubt I can get away with zero preparation. So I got some recommendations and selected a prep book from the library by The Princeton Review: Cracking the GRE. And in going through the book, I am learning a lot about what kind of studier I am.

By that I mean I have learned that I study loudly. Out loud. I read stuff aloud to myself, I think through questions aloud to myself, and I make loud exclamations/expletives when I learn whether I got the question right or wrong. Ironically for someone who wants to be a librarian, I don't think I could ever study in one. I'd get kicked out for yelling!

It's really interesting to me. But instead of examining my burgeoning study habits, I should probably get back to developing them. And do remember that I taking this very-important-to-my-future test in a week, and forgive my blogging if it gets spotty or just really short in that time. I regret that GRE trumps BEDA temporarily.
|
This entry was posted on 4/07/2010 10:21:00 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

3 comments:

On April 7, 2010 at 11:08 PM , Becky Jean said...

I hear ya about the studying out loud. I tend to be an outloud paper writer. I can only study in the library in individual study rooms or away from other people I bug.

 
On April 7, 2010 at 11:38 PM , Season said...

Oh Autumn—how I envy the naturally good test taker. I'm sure you'll do great!

 
On April 8, 2010 at 3:21 AM , Unknown said...

Good luck with your studying! I guess it's good not to always love being in a library, haha.